Sunday 15 September 2013

Lazy Sunday



 

4 weeks in Wau and still staying in the guest house.  I was offered a room in a house with other VSOs but for a number of reasons I didn’t find it suitable.  I’m working on the third time lucky belief and hope the next offer will be what I want where I want. 

 

I’m enjoying work, the students are showing a lot more interest in anything I teach and ask really relevant questions which is great knowing that some of them actually listen.  My Arabic is coming on.  I speak more Arabic after a few weeks in the country than I spoke Chichewa after 2 years in Malawi.  I make a lot of mistakes but at least I entertain people by trying.  The students help me and I’m trying to arrange lessons with some other volunteers.  I’ll drop out of the classes if I feel I’m keeping the others back.  I usually need remedial classes for languages.

 

I found a 4 week old kitten and decided if was still around the next day I would keep it.  I’ve not seen it again so its either being looked after or it has been killed by the feral dogs.  We have just adopted a very young puppy at work it was on deaths door. It is now doing well after a lot of antibiotics, milk and care.  One of the local donkeys looks like it’s about to foal any day so we’re looking forward to that.  I’ve befriended the local street children and feed them as much as I can.  I gave them 20 rounds of flat breads and a jar of jam this morning, it is really humbling to see how happy it makes them.  I’m trying to get some of them to come to the clinic, they have the most horrible infected wounds, I had to check if one was dead or alive outside the gate today people just walk past them and don’t care.

 

Life in Wau is at a leisurely pace because of the heat.  I meet up with friends on Saturdays we go to the market for anything we need and to soak up the culture then go for lunch and a beer or two.  The markets are open on other days but we don’t have time to go.  I sometimes meet friends for a meal and or a beer during the week then if I’m not preparing a lecture I watch a film in the evenings and read.  I catch up with world news from the BBC every morning on my radio.  My kindle, radio and my laptop are my best mates during the week.  Sundays I chill out, listen to music, do my washing, any sewing that needs done and give myself a pedicure.  If it wasn't for the heat I'd be really chilled out.

I hope everyone is well.  Keep the comments coming on the blog.
 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Carol, always look forward to the blog and it looks like you have a fairly steady power supply for kindle etc. Good for you learning some Arabic, and the teaching seems to be going well . When the children have wounds, what has caused them? I expect you will win them round soon to the clinic . I have recently finished a book about Zimbabwe and one of the authors at this year's Lennoxlove Book Festival in November is Elizabeth Laird talking about her book The Lure of the Honey Bee . It's her journey and folk tales about Ethiopia so have just ordered a ticket for her talk and one for Alan Johnstone's.It is always a huge success and uses Lennoxlove itself and a marquee. A privilege and a far cry from life in Africa. Aunty Mary admitted to Liberton hospital yesterday - another fall and very confused. Paramedic confirmed urine infection but doc earlier in week said labyrinthitis. She is very frail now but when we were there she "lectured" the paramedic about the few true tortoiseshell cats in the world and that they are all female.
    Ciao for now. Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things almost sound civilised - lunch and beers on Saturdays sound great, but I am sure you are missing out a lot of horrid detail! But glad you are still in the Guesthouse where you are comfy - that must make a huge difference. Maybe they will just let you stay on there? Good news about the puppy and the donkey foal coming soon. You have to turn your hand to everything out there, but it must be fascinating. Alastair's 10 puppies are coming up to 8 weeks, so hopefully will be going to new homes very soon! Good luck with the language, and I am sure you will pick it up - it is always easier when you are in amongst it and speaking it every day. Keep up the great work, and keep drinking the beer - it will help to keep the bugs away, I'm sure! Lots of love, Jeanxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Carol - at last!! I've finally managed to log on to your blog with the help of one very clever son-in-law!
    Just catching up with all your news over the last few weeks..... it all sounds very different to what we know and love about our own life, and once again I take my hat off ( and everything else !) to you, doing so much in so many ways for those who need even just the basics in life ie health and hygiene. How sad that little children are just abandoned. anyway Carol, they are so much the better for you being there imparting your knowledge to those who can hopefully start to make a positive difference locally. Look after yourself too remember, and stay as safe as possible. Juliexx

    ReplyDelete