Sunday 29 September 2013

Hilda Ogden Head Gear


I’ll have been away from home for 8 weeks on Wednesday, time has been passing so quickly.  I’m getting used to the slower pace of life and the environment.  We have the most amazing electrical storms, it floods so quickly and you get soaked through in seconds.  The dust storms are incredible, you get sandblasted and an excellent exfoliation. However, I don’t think I’ll ever get used to the heat and it’s still to get a lot hotter. It is rarely less than 30° in my room when I go to bed. When I’m at home, still in the guest house, I wear a wet head scarf tied round my head like the one that Hilda Ogden wore with her curlers, most unattractive.  The local women have it sussed with their clothes that protect them from the sun and flow really elegantly.  Most people here are from the Dinka tribe and are very tall, some of the women are around 6 feet and most weight less than my left leg. Unfortunately when I try to wear their robes I look like I’m going to fancy dress party as Casper and if I just try the head dress I look like I’ve tried to strangle myself.  So Hilda Ogden it will have to be. 

 

The wildlife has been more prolific in the last couple of weeks.  There are bats the size of large magpies that fly about during the day, I think they sense when a storm is coming and know that there will be loads of insects.  I’ve never seen such big bats.  A few nights ago I realised that I had a visitor in my room.  I could hear things being gently banged into then eventually being knocked over.  I didn’t know if it was something that had slithered in under the door or was something with sharp teeth and a long tail.  Thankfully it turned out to be a frog, I had to chase it out only to find its friend waiting for it outside.  The donkey disappeared, the puppy died and the kitten has still never been seen again. 

 

The president visited Wau, we got 2 public holidays which is not as good as it sounds because there was a lot of security, the officials had taken over River Lodge so we couldn’t go there and we couldn’t get to the other lodge because there were road blocks.  Like Malawi the holidays were announced by loud speaker the night before in Arabic so it meant nothing to me.  I pitched up at work both days only to be told to go home. 

 

Work has been busy and there have been problems with the generator which runs in the mornings.  Someone filled it with oil and it took them a couple of days to identify the problem.  We now have other problems with it so nothing is kept cold in the fridges but we continue to give the drugs even though they are probably inactive due to the heat.  Some of the students were meant to go on placement a few hours drive from here but the roads were so bad they have had to stay in Wau so we have more students around than we should have.  There may be some developments in the college soon but in Africa plans change and developments are delayed so I’ll wait and see.  In the meantime its get on with work and the Hilda Ogden head scarf.

 

I hope everyone is well at home and enjoying the healthy cold climate which I’m really missing.

 

4 comments:

  1. So funny to hear about your Hilda Ogden scarf, but if it works, then keep wearing it. Hope you take some photos of yourself for us to see! Strange about the holidays, and it must be very frustrating for you not knowing. Not a good way to run an economy or a country! Sorry to hear about the donkey/pup/kitten. We still have 8 collie pups left here, but hopefully more will go this week! They are great fun, but quite a handful now, especially when they escape! Glad to hear you are still in the Guest House, and hope you don't get too many animal visitors in your room. Frogs ok, but anything else - ugh! Hope the generator situation improves, but I am sure the students are appreciating your work and knowledge.
    We have had a lovely weekend here - not quite so hot as you, but sunny and amazingly warm for Scotland at the end of September, but not Hilda Ogden scarf weather. Remember the photos, and take care. Lots of love Jeanxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol, Another really interesting instalment from you. If you can find a nice big "jewel" to pin on the front of the turban you will feel a lot better . It might even catch on in Powmill.Is your room on the ground floor making it handy for frogs etc ? and how is the Arabic coming on?I know you will be giving it a good shot. You might remember I sponsor a girl in Indonesia through Plan and the recent magazine gives news of her particular area which increases the details I get in letters . What is more of a coincidence this time is an article on South Sudan telling about a visit by Sky News presenter Gillian Joseph and her 2 daughters. They were in Juba and Yei and if you Google you will find the articles and photos .I think they may not reflect where you are. I see Jean mentioned our fab weather on Saturday and this was great as there was a fundraising event for Macmillan Nurses and another cancer charity.This was set up by a neighbour who has had a bad time for almost 2 years with leukaemia . I haven't heard yet how much was raised but think it was pretty good.. A friend from the Bank was here from Edinburgh but her husband collapsed and died while she was here. He has been ill but it was still a shock when she got home and the hospital phoned. Mary got back home last Friday and she realises now that she is not as well as she was. You would see a big difference in her. Been to Italian class today and off just now to think about food. Look after yourself well in all that heat . Love Helen xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, creepy crawlies and things that go bump in the night! Completely understand the Hilda turban at night, still 24 in the house when we go to bed and thats bad enough. Enjoy hearing all your news, sounds like an interesting but complicated place to live and work in.
    Take care, love Shona. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carol,
    Sorry haven't been in touch but have thought about you a lot. I've read you can sometimes access email now, so will try that for my next message. Alli has tried posting on here and has also tried to text you on Orange but hasn't had any success yet! If this works I'll tell her how I did it too - I'm hoping to see her again in the next couple of weeks - we've been keeping in touch with each other and are thinking of you loads and fascinated reading your blog. I don't think either of us wish we were there but are full of admiration for you, and I think we're also both very relieved to hear that it sounds like your accommodation is at least OK so far. I wish you best of luck in getting the accommodation you want though. Lots of love, Kathy x

    ReplyDelete