Sunday 13 October 2013

No Room for Errors



I got really excited yesterday when the temperature dropped to 25º in the shade.  Winter is approaching and all the locals are wearing jackets, if they can afford them, and protecting themselves from the cold.  The downside was it was too wet to go out.  Everywhere was flooded, there was no transport, boats were required, and all the shops were shut.

Some of my students have gone to Wau teaching hospital for their clinical placements.  I have been going there in the mornings to teach them in the wards.  The wards only run at 30% capacity for a number of reasons.  No one would ever criticise the Edinburgh Royal after seeing this place. Everything you do and teach has to be adapted for the environment and limited resources.  Malawi had so much compared to here.  Goats and dogs wander round the hospital and sometimes go into the wards.  Water is pumped in the yard for the wards, patients sit under the trees with their families when they are able to mobilise, and some of the buildings are derelict.  If you can’t pay for drugs you don’t get them.  Staff and visitors sometimes have a whip round to pay for drugs or catheters etc for patients.  A few months ago a patient died after surgery so a relative went there and shot and killed the surgeon. So I’m hoping I don’t make any mistakes.  I think someone should consider an effective complaints procedure.

In the afternoons I’ve been returning to college and teaching there.  No matter what I’m teaching I finish each class by asking them to work out a drug dose and a drip rate. I realised, to my horror, that many of them lack basic maths skills, or sums to you and me.  Everyday I tell them that there are 1000 mgs in a gram and 1000 mls in a litre and they continue to make the same errors.  As far as they are concerned there is anything between 50 -5000 mls in a litre. They are not so extravagant with mgs and grams but make huge errors including 100 grams in 1 mg.  I’ve given them a formula to work out drug doses and drip rates.  Sometimes there is a glimmer of hope then it fades away the next day. 

Most of the students are lovely people, some have been soldiers since they were kids, many of them were refugees, and some are supporting families.  They have to study by candle light; some of them never saw a text book until they started nursing college.  They have learned by rote and have never had to understand anything or work anything out.  They just remember things.  Trying to get them to think critically or see the bigger picture is daunting task.

The students have started calling me sister; they used to call me teacher.  Sister means lots of things here.  There are the nuns and they know I’m not one of them.  Sisters on the wards they tend to call “the in charge” but mostly sister means friend.  It’s a term of acceptance as being one of them.  The street boys call me sister too.  If they call you mother that is showing respect and if they call you grandmother that shows the greatest respect but there is no warmth in these names or acceptance.  So it’s good to be sister.

If anyone wants to email me John can give you my new email address but messages are still forwarded from my lineone address.  I hope all is well and you are enjoying the cooler weather.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Carol. You paint a pretty grim picture with your teaching. It sounds as if you have an uphill struggle getting them even to learn the basics - maths etc. Oh dear. Quite a challenge. But sounds like a great honour to be known as sister. Can't say I am surprised, as you get on with everyone so well, and they will soon work out that you are genuine and really want to help them. Keep up the great work, but it doesn't sound a great place! We are heading to winter too - but not 25! Got a lot colder, wetter, and dark so early at night which is horrid. Clocks change in 2 weeks too, but then I close 1 week after so that will be good. Still got 5 puppies!!!! But hoping to find good homes for them soon. Look after yourself, and keep up the great work - I think we all admire you for all you are doing. Lots of love Jeanxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol , more later as busy with visits etc with Ian going off next week. Meantime thought you may ponder on some Greek peasant remedies as per book by Gerald Durrell's brother. He reckons some show medical knowledge. NHS should check.
    Stings / Bites - apply garlic
    Scorpion bite -dissolve a living scorpion in bottle of olive oil and apply lotion externally to protect against more scorpion bites.
    Dysentery / Diarrhoea- small bottle beetroot juice ( 50cc) cork and place in heart uncooked loaf bread .bake bread, remove bottle and drink till symptoms gone.
    Malaria-efficacy quinine increased if taken with little urine from unweaned baby
    Open wounds- cobwebs or cigarette tobacco to staunch
    Piles- hot fomentation with water from boiled onions
    Seasick- suck a lemon
    Rats-pound centre asphodel bulbs and mix with ordinary cheese
    Hollow teeth - clove juice

    You are doing a great job and it's good that it's a bit cooler for you

    . lots of love Helen xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol,
    What a challenge you have undertaken - but with your normal humour thrown in - I suppose that's so important to help maintain some sanity.
    I've undertaken a challenge over the last 4 weeks too - but nothing compared to yours. Another friend has an apple orchard but hasn't had time to do anything with the abundance of fabulous fruit which grew this year, so Yvonne and I harvested 10 carrier bags full. My evenings have consisted of washing, chopping, peeling apples, rosehips, rowan berries, brambles, to make into delicious (if I do say so myself!) jellies and chutneys. The problem is I get a bit carried away and now have > 100 jars! Luckily, last week I found out that there's a craft fayre at the Shieldbank coffee shop 1st weekend in November, so I'll be appearing there, at my stall, trying to raise a few ££ for Alzheimers Scotland.
    If you need any apples to help create a remedy for any ailments just let me know...........
    Will you be planning to come home for a short break any time before your year there is finished? Do you still manage to meet up with any of the others you travelled out there with?
    I joined a walk with the Kinross & Ochil branch of the Ramblers Assoc a few weeks back. The walk was around Callander area Loch Venacher and Loch Drunkie to be precise and was an enjoyable venture with a friendly group.
    Anyway, must dash as the next batch needs bottling!
    Take care - keep up the good work.
    Julie.x

    ReplyDelete